AI and Ethics
What Is Artificial Intelligence Allowed to Do?
A Matter of Ethics
Artificial intelligence (AI) is often said to have a transformative power comparable to the industrial revolution. If these forecasts are even close to being accurate, we are in for an enormous transformation. AI will then change the world in a relevant way and also help to relieve the burden on humans in many areas.
Despite the many potential positive effects, it is important to consider the potentially problematic implications of using AI. Under what circumstances may AI be used? Where do boundaries need to be drawn? What use cases might be difficult? And how do you decide?
Since we at Arvato Systems not only use AI as a tool but also develop applications based on AI, there is a logical need to address the ethical aspects of AI.
The Concrete Handling of Ethical Issues in the AI Context at Arvato Systems
At Arvato Systems, we recognize that the use of artificial intelligence can bring numerous benefits and make life easier. At the same time, we are aware that there are also potential risks and ethical implications that must be taken into account. For this reason, we are taking a close look at the framework conditions under which the use of AI is justifiable for us. We have established a comprehensive set of rules, processes and measures to ensure that ethical issues related to the development and use of applied AI are adequately considered:
- We have developed AI principles to help make ethical decisions.
- We provide AI policies and guidance documents that are accessible to all employees.
- We provide training on AI ethics for employees, as it is important to create awareness of individual responsibility in dealing with AI.
- We facilitate regular exchange within the Bertelsmann Group and with third parties on the topic of AI ethics.
- We have developed a clear process that ensures fundamental consideration of ethical issues in the use of AI.